jueves, 29 de septiembre de 2011

Christian Drama Joseph the Dreamer


 Christian Drama Joseph the Dreamer




 PlayWith 22 Characters

 

(There is a Spotlight

 (Narrator)

There was once a boy named Joseph son of Jacob and Rachel and gifted by God to interpret dreams. He was a faithful boy to God and God had given him success in all he did. This is the story of Joseph the Dreamer.

[Lights fade; Egyptian type music plays then slowly fades away as the lights turn on]

(Brothers are sleeping slightly snoring) 

(Jacob)



Good morning my sons, time to wake up! come on guys wake up! Time to go to work (turns to Joseph) Joseph! I have made you a robe!



(Joseph)



It's wonderful, thank you so much father (looks at the robe in admiration then puts it on)

(Jacob leaves)





(Judah)



I see father has made you a robe



(Simeon)



He hasn’t ever made one of us a robe



(Joseph)



Brothers i had a dream last night



(Reuben)

A dream?



(Joseph)



Yes, listen! we were all binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.



(Brothers look at each other)



(Judah)



So what? Do you plan to reign over us?



(Reuben)



Yea do you think of yourself so much better than us to rule us?!



(Joseph)



No, it was just a dream, but my life and what I will become is in the hands of the Lord

(Go through the back door [as lights fade] go back on stage through side door and sleep)



(Jacob)



(Walks in through the side steps) Wake up my sons!! It’s time to wake up

(They all wake up)



(Joseph)



My brothers I had another dream last night



(Levi)



Another dream?!

David

(as Naphtali)

(Mocking tone)What is it about this time? Are you being crowned king of the world?!



(Joseph)



No, just listen this time in the dream the sun the moon and the stars bowed down to me



 (Judah)



Oh Joseph give us a break. Now the sun the moon and the stars must bow down to you! you're just-----



(Jacob)



Wonderful! Joseph: was that really a dream? Everyone leave except you Joseph

(Brothers mumble on their way out)



(Joseph)



Yes father



(Jacob)



I believe God is trying to tell you something, he has given you a vision Joseph (grabs Jacob by the shoulder) you are truly blessed my son



(Joseph)



Thank you father



 (Jacob)



I love you my son. Now go with your brothers

(Jacob runs off to find his brothers as [the lights fade])

(Merchant stays in the back waits for his merchant part)



(Asher)



Something must be done about Joseph



(Gad)



(Mocking tone)Yes, Mr. I dreamed this and i dreamed that!





(Judah)



He is spoiled! If there is anyone who should be spoiled it should be Reuben he is the oldest

(Brothers agree...Jacob comes running towards them)



(Joseph)



Hey Guys!!!!



(Zebulon)



(Mocking tone)Oh look who it is Joseph the dreamer



(Judah)



What do you have another dream to tell us?

(Dan pushes him they all start pushing him and teasing him)



(As Reuben)

You know you're his favorite



(Judah)



(Takes off Xavier's robe) oh! Isn’t this a pretty robe?



(Joseph)



Hey! Give that back!! (Tries to get it, but Judah passes it to somebody and they all toss it amongst each other and push Xavier off stage)



(Zebulon)



Should we kill him?





(Reuben)



NO! We have to get him out, I will go get help (runs off)



(Judah)



Yes, Reuben's right let's not kill him, after all he is our brother



(Simeon)



So what will we do?



(Judah)



Let's sell him to the ishmaelities so they can do whatever they please with him



(Dan)



I see some merchants headed this way now



(Asher)



Quick call them over



(Gad)



Hey!!



(Simeon)



Over here! (they both wave at the merchant to come over)

(Merchant walks out)



(Merchant)



How can I help you men?



(Judah)


We have a slave for sale



(Merchant)



He looks healthy, how much?



(Judah)



Twenty shekels



(Merchant)



Deal!



(Merchant grabs Xavier and takes him away)



(Reuben comes in)



(Reuben)



Where's Joseph?



(Levi)



We sold him



(Reuben)



What have you guys done? What will we tell father?



(Judah)



Don’t worry I've got that all figured out (holds the robe out)



(Narrator)



So they slaughtered a goat and dipped Joseph's robe in it and presented it to Jacob (They act it out upstage right)

(Judah brings the robe to Jacob)



(Judah)



Father......I’m sorry



(Jacob)



Joseph......My son! (He takes the robe walks to the front center stage kneels down and cries) He has been killed by an animal WHY!!! My son....



[Lights fade]



(Narrator)



The merchants had taken Joseph to Egypt and sold him to the Pharaoh's official Potiphar. Potiphar saw great potential in Joseph and led in charge of everything in his household. Potiphar's wife also began to take a liking in him and began to tempt him





(Wife)



(Leaning on something) Good morning Joseph



(Joseph)



Good morning



(Wife)



Joseph seems like you've been working awfully hard lately you should come with me in can help you relax



(Joseph)



NO!



(Wife)



Come on Joseph, no one has to find out



(Joseph)



No! I will not sin against God and my master (walks away)

(Diana walks away through the side door and enters through the one on stage)



(Narrator)



The wife did not stop trying to sleep with Joseph, she would try day after day until...



(Wife)



Joseph come sleep with me (walks over to him and puts arms around him)



(Joseph)



No! (pulls away but Potiphar’s wife grabs his cloak and he runs off)



(Wife)



You'll regret this Joseph! You will regret this!!! (Screams) guards, guards!

(Guards! come out and the wife explains what happens then points to the way that Joseph went)



[Lights fade]



(Potiphar and his wife are on stage while the Guards stands on each side of the pillar)

(Joseph walks in)



(Joseph)



You called me master?



(Potiphar)

Yes I did, my love repeat to me what happened.



(Wife)

He tried to sleep with me but I screamed and he panicked and left, leaving behind his cloak



(Joseph)



Lies!



(Potiphar)



How dare you take me for a fool! I trusted you, i gave you control over everything in this house Joseph. Everything was under your care here. I trusted you



(Joseph)



Master



(Potiphar)



Silence Joseph! I have heard enough. Guards! (The guards come) Take him away!



(Narrator)



So Joseph was sent to prison for something he did not commit. Not long after a baker and a cupbearer got locked up with Joseph as well. (The Guards bring cupbearer and baker in) One night the cupbearer and the baker both had dreams and were both dejected. (They look sad Joseph motions towards them, they act like they are speaking) The cupbearer explained his dream to Joseph and so did the baker and Joseph told them what it meant. The cupbearers dream meant he was going to get his job back and the Bakers dream meant he would die (cupbearer looks happy baker looks sad). Joseph told the cupbearer to mention him to the king so that he may one day leave prison.



[Lights fade]



(Baker looks sad as he sits in a chair and cupbearer pours him a drink)



(Cupbearer)



What’s wrong my Lord?



(Pharaoh)



I've been having these dreams and there is no one who can interpret them for me



(Cupbearer)



Well when I was imprisoned there was a man i met named Joseph who interpret dreams. The baker and I both had a dream and he interpreted it for us, and everything he said came true; the baker was hung and i got my job back



(Pharaoh)



Well then bring this man to me at once! Guards!

(Guards come over)



(Pharaoh)



Release Joseph



(They bring Joseph out)



(Pharaoh)



Joseph, I heard that you interpret dreams, is this true?



(Joseph)



Yes, this is true (bows to him)



(Pharaoh)



Good, you see my problem is I've been having these dreams and there's no one to interpret them for me, and I've heard that you can, so can you help me Joseph?



(Joseph)



Of course (bows to him)



(Pharaoh)



Ok, well in my dream i was standing on the bank of the Nile when out of the river came up seven fat cows and they grazed among the reeds. After them seven other cows came up but these were scrawny and very ugly. Then the seven ugly cows ate the seven fat cows but after they ate no one could tell the difference, they looked the same. Then i wake up. In my other dream I saw seven good head of grain, growing on a single stalk, after them other heads sprouted, withered, thin and scorched by the east wind. The thin heads of grain swallowed up the seven good heads. I told this to the magicians and they could not even explain it to me.



(Joseph)



Your dreams mean the same thing. God has revealed to you what he is about to do. The seven good cows and the seven good heads of grain represent seven years. The seven ugly cows that came up and the seven worthless heads of grain scorched by the wind are seven years of famine. Seven years of great abundance are coming throughout the land of Egypt, but seven years of famine will follow them. The matter has been firmly decided by God, he will do it soon.



(Pharaoh)



So what do you suggest I do?



(Joseph)



Look for a discerning and wise man and put him in charge of the land of Egypt. Put commissioners in charge over the land to take a fifth of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance. They should store it up under your authority to be kept in cities.



(Pharaoh)



Then what?



(Joseph)

This food should be used during the seven years of famine that will come.



(Pharaoh)



This is a wonderful plan Joseph; you are truly blessed by God. Since God has revealed this to you there is no one more discerning and wiser than you. This is why you shall be in charge. All my people are to submit to your orders, only with respect to the throne will i be greater then you. I hear by declare you in charge of the whole land of Egypt. Without your consent no one shall lift a finger in all of Egypt. (He puts a ring and a cloak on him.



(Narrator)



So during those seven years of abundance Joseph collected all the food produced and stored it in the cities. He stored up huge quantities of grain. When seven years of abundance came to an end Joseph opened store houses and sold grain to the people. When Josephs brother’s in Cannan heard about the grain being sold they traveled to Egypt to get some. Joseph's brother’s didn’t recognize him but Joseph recognized them and accused them of being spies. He sent them away and told them not to return unless they gave brought their youngest brother Benjamin who stayed home with their father. When they returned to Egypt with their brother Joseph invited them to dinner, but didn’t dine with them instead he had other plans.



(Joseph)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's what you will do, fill these men sack with as much food as they can carry and put each man silver in the mouth of the sack then put my silver cup in the bag of the youngest one with his silver and the grain, then run after them.



(Steward)



Ok



(Narrator)

So the steward did what he was told (brothers walk away down the aisle and the steward runs after them)



(the steward)



STOP THIEVES!!



(Levi)



Thieves?



(Naphtali)



We haven’t stole anything from you



(Steward)



But you have from my master. You have stolen his silver cup!



(Levi)       



No, we are sure we haven’t, in fact you can check!



(The steward)



Fine (looks through all their bags, looks at Benjamin’s bag last) Well I have found the thieves! Come with me



[Lights fade]



(Joseph is standing up center stage)

(The brothers throw themselves at his feet)



(Joseph)



You guys are wicked men!



(Judah)



What can we say but please do not take Benjamin! He doesn't know any better. Please take one of us instead



(Joseph)

I cannot make someone who is innocent pay for a guilty mans sin!



(Judah)



Please my lord, we promised our father that we would bring him back safely. Our aged father you asked about has a son born to him in his old age, his brother is dead and he is the only one of his mothers sons left and his father loves him. When you told us you wanted to see Benjamin we told our father and he told us that the boy cannot go that if he leaves him he will die, but you told us that unless we bring him we would not get food anymore. So we had no other choice, please my lord let the boy go.



(Joseph)



Steward! Leave the room!  



(Joseph)



I am Joseph, come close to me (they come closer) I am your brother Joseph the one you sold into Egypt. Don’t be angry with yourselves anymore either because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. For two years now there has been famine and it will be the same for the next five years, but God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by great deliverance, it was not you who sent me here it was God.

(They hug)



(Narrator)



*The Pharaoh found out and told Joseph to bring his family there*

So they sent over donkeys to bring Jacob and their belongings. Jacob did not believe them but when he saw the carts and the donkeys that were sent his heart filled with joy that his boy was alive.

(Walk through back door then come out the other one)

(Xavier is on stage comes from the back)



(Narrator)



And they were reunited



[Lights fade]



(The girls come out and sing: When you Believe By: Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston



























No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario